Reading and exercises:
India's Prime Minister Narendra Modi has outlined his controversial plan to make India a cashless society. Indians are already up in arms following his recent and sudden decision to ban the old 500 and 1,000 rupee banknotes. They ceased to be legal tender in India from the 9th of November, although the old 500-rupee note was replaced by an updated version. The government claimed the move was an effort to stop the banknotes being used to fund terrorism, as well as being a crackdown on counterfeit money in India. The ban means 80 per cent of the country's currency has been withdrawn from circulation and business has been brought to a virtual standstill. It is very unpopular among most Indians.
Mr Modi went a step further on Sunday when he called for a cashless society. He said in a televised speech: "I want to tell my small merchant brothers and sisters, this is the chance for you to enter the digital world." He added: "Learn the different ways you can use your bank accounts and Internet banking. Learn how to effectively use the apps of various banks on your phones. Learn how to run your business without cash. Learn about card payments and other electronic modes of payment….A cashless economy is secure. It is clean." He addressed India's more tech-savvy people by declaring that: "All the youth of India can do it very quickly, and within a month, the world can see a modern India."
1. TRUE / FALSE: Read the headline. Guess if a-h below are true (T) or false (F).
India has already abandoned all forms of cash. T / F
There are now no 500 rupee notes in circulation in India. T / F
India's government said ending banknotes was an anti-terrorism measure. T / F
The withdrawn banknotes represents 80% of India's currency. T / F
Mr Modi said he wanted all small merchants to enter the digital world. T / F
Mr Modi advised his brothers and sisters to stop using bank accounts. T / F
Mr Modi said a cashless economy was clean and secure. T / F
Mr Modi called on all the older people to make India modern. T / F
2. SYNONYM MATCH: Match the following synonyms from the article.
up in arms trader
standstill sketched out
3. Put the words in the right order
1. plan cashless to society make His India controversial a .
2. up already are Indians arms in .
3. effort to stop the banknotes being used to fund terrorism An .
4. currency country's The circulation from withdrawn been has .
5. brought been has Business standstill virtual a to .
6. for you to enter the digital world This is the chance .
7. your ways bank you accounts can The use different .
8. your run to how Learn cash without business .
9. tech more India's addressed He people savvy – .
10. a month , the world can see a modern India Within .